Consequences of Stress on Children's Development
As a child, I experienced two blood-thirsty wars. The first was the war of 1986, a civil war in Yemen over who got to rule. It lasted 20 days, and was very frightening because planes and RPG’s would send missiles everywhere. Furthermore, it was never clear who was on which side of the war due to spies and mistrust. The biggest issue of the war was the lack of water, as we had no water and neither did anyone in the country at the time. The second war was that of 1994, which took place in Yemen; it was the north of Yemen against the inhabitants of the south. Raids from the north would drop bombs, missiles, and explosives down. This shattered our living residence many times, as our glass windows all broke and live bullets came into the windows many times. I was extremely scared in both wars, as I had no idea what war truly was or for what reason it was fought. We could never lie in peace without hearing bullets or feel their impact on our building. As a child, I saw the bloodshed when victims would come to our house seeking refuge. I also saw great poverty as many who came left behind all of their belongings and properties to escape with their lives. The wars are a science I will never forget, and a factor that made me become wise quicker than my time.
The war in Syria
The children in Syria experience a worse condition, as they have been in civil war since 2011, almost 8 years now. The government has cut off supplies to most of the population, leaving many without jobs and without access to the basic necessities of life. These necessities include water and food, never mind protection from raids. Every day, children face starvation due to government destruction of personal property and other means. This stunts their growth and childhood into a smaller phase than normal as they are expected to mature much more quickly. Young boys are expected to work at an extremely young age , which means they fail to learn other skills and their brains lack certain developments due to lack of time. The children miss vital development skills, and it messes up the rest of their lives.
Resources
Comments
Post a Comment