Testing for Intelligence
In my opinion, testing intelligence for children is limiting their intelligence ability and the other areas that they may be good at it. Also, it’s not recognizing their different characters and measuring their intelligence. On the other hand, some of this test is not giving on the child’s first language which makes it hard to understand the questions and they do not finish all the sections of the test. This causes them to run out of time when they do not understand the content on the test due to the language difference. Furthermore, some children are not comfortable when they take a test they feel scared and nervous so that will affect the result of their test. Also, it affects their self-confidence when they get back the result of the test which makes them look to themselves with less self-esteem.
Girls are taking the assessment test
In other areas around the world, such as the Middle East, students are not assessed heavily until the end of their junior high and high school years. However, when they are taking high school exams, they are quite rigorous and ask a lot. Students are tested on up to 12 subjects, including cartography, biology, chemistry, math, language, and more subjects. They are also tested in religion aside from school, and they attend religious school mostly over the weekend. All in all, exams are taken over the end of the education realm, and not towards the beginning as manners and ethics are stressed towards the beginning.
References
https://www.sabanews.net/en/news491446.htm

I tend to agree with you when expressing how some children can become nervous when taking a test. I know when I was a child, I would become nervous when taking a standardized test. I, too, ran out of time because I had difficulties comprehending the information I had to read. I can't imagine if a test was not in my first language either. I believe my anxiety would be much higher. Thanks for sharing how students in the Middle East are assessed. It is interesting that religion is part of their assessment.
ReplyDeleteI think that your example of testing in the Middle East, is very common of areas of the world, and goes to prove that American testing system is not only inaccurate in numerous cases, but also that it is improperly administered over the course of learning. It is strange to say that, because America is the country in which I live, but I really think that if any testing is going to be done--it should at least be administered when a child has achieved a great deal of learning in repetition rather than "cramming" to make the grade. I believe that testing and labeling in America, is yet another unfortunate form of "convenience for the corporate system to quickly shuck children in and out of the educational system. Great post!
ReplyDelete