"My Connections to Play."
"My Connections to Play."
“Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity.” ~ Kay Redfield Jamison
Essential play items for when I was a child
Play today is definitely different from play in the past. Now researches and practical experiences are approved that play is the key to learning and improving skills. In the past, it is used to focus on academic skills and achievement. But now play is taking a place to reach academic achievement and goals. On the other hand, some teachers believe in play and some are not. Even though there were not learning equipment’s, materials, and tools that help to enjoy the play as now. Teachers try to find another's way that can help to keep the enjoyment of the play. By creating and recycling some material to be used for play. I still remember when my teacher used to encourage me to play. At that time play was not important as well as now. Also, in the third countries world teachers were not familiar, know, and educated as well as now to support play or know the benefits of it. Technology is another important method that encourages play. Television, movies, computers, and the internet are making and adding more new ways to play compared to the past methods.
Throughout my experience, as a teacher, I enjoy watching children learn and grow through play. To see children using their imagination and mastering skills by encouraging play shows how play is vital and essential tools for improving learning skills. Children express themselves through play, so I join and enjoy the play with the children to see how they think while using tools and doing things differently. Which can be used as another tool to understand their need and know the areas that I need to work on with them to improve and masters skills which will be adding values to the play.






Hanadi,
ReplyDeleteYour post was informative. The quote by Kay Jamison was used on another peer's blog. I agree that play is not a luxury but a necessity. Another concept that I agree with and is worth defending is that play helps children with problem solving. I think that creativity comes from play that can lead to tangible ideas.
Growing up, I had the same essential play items as you did! It is crazy to me how play has changed over the years. I liked the quote about how play heals the body, which I feel is true. Through play, children and adults can learn so much and have an enjoyable time.
ReplyDelete