My Family's culture
My family culture
To be in this situation is very difficult. My family In Yemen faced a similar situation in 2015 when they had to cross the red sea in Asia to Africa on the animals’ ship to a country called Djibouti because of the civil war. The bombing was following them even they are on the ship. Many ships got drowned in the sea, but my family made it safely thanks to God. They just had to leave without taking anything; only a small handbag for their personal belongings. Taking three items that represent my family culture will be my holy book (the Quran), my hijab (scarf), and my Islamic, traditional clothes.
Yemeni traditional clothes.
The Quran is the most important item that I have to be sure about carrying with me wherever I go because it is the word of God and the main source that I read daily to not have fear, use it to solve problems, and it shows me how to deal with hard situations. To follow God rules and present my identity as a Muslim-Arabic woman, I have to dress up the way that God described it in the holy the Quran. To wear my traditional clothes is a message by itself to tell others about my identity and about my culture as well.
Arabic rocks, and oily perfumes- of which I used to add scent to my traditional clothes.
It is not easy at all to face or to be in experiences that you have to be limited to choose items that present own culture. When I came to the US, I brought many items that really helped me to not feel homesick. I brought many different items such as food spices, Arabic rocks, and oily perfumes- of which I used to add scent to my traditional clothes, traditional Arabic jewelry, and clay cooking pot. I am always participating in culture day events at my work, my children’s school, and at my worship place the masjid (Mosque). Sharing with others our own culture is the gate to knowing more about others and understanding their values and how rich they are from inside and outside. At my work, we have a culture day that all families have their own booth to show and present their own home culture while dressing up their children in their traditional clothes. Also, every culture shares their own home food and shows its own tradition dancing. I think having a culture day is a very beneficial method that bringing people together without fences and boundaries.
![]() |
| Arabic oily perfumes |
![]() |
| Clay Pot cook |






It was quite sad the horrors that your family had to face in the wake of the crisis in Yemen. I like that you thought to include items that reminded you of home and also acknowledged your faith. As someone who has come in contact with the Arabic oily perfumes, I can attest that they are quite unique and could give popular perfume brands a run for their money.
ReplyDeleteHello Hanadi,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog it was very inviting. The items that you chose for your selection allowed us readers to gain much insight about your culture. I also made the decision to select a spiritual item as a top possession. As professionals it is very important for us to learn about the cultures of others. Thank you for sharing Yemeni traditions!
Hanadi,
ReplyDeleteYour post is so insightful and interesting. Just imagining living something so life-altering is difficult. I appreciate the vivid picture that you have painted, with them, I enjoy your enriched details. These details provide meaning and insight of your family culture.