Perspectives on Diversity and Culture
Perspectives on Diversity and Culture
To have a conversation with others about their understanding and definition of culture and diversity requires interest from both sides. When I asked a colleague about one word in which to define culture and diversity, she replied that “culture means I, Who I am, and from where I came, and how I will present myself.” About diversity “I believe that everyone has to blend in and understand others the way they are.” The second one said, “culture and diversity is one coin that has two different sides that present a deep meaning about self and others.” The third one said “my culture is my identity, and diversity is how to accept others without judging them”
The aspects of cultures and diversity I learned in this course and the other's definition, is about who we are, our lifestyle such as the food, dressing up, different celebrations and etc. Diversity is a big world that we have to share ideas and thoughts about our culture in order to be able to accept others.
Diversity also can appear in the same ethnicity and culture. When I met my friends from the same culture and ethnicity I saw that we are different in somehow I am following the Islamic way of dressing up but they are not. Also, some of them don’t follow the religion’s rules, not participating in many cultural celebrations, and are not speaking the Arabic language even though when they came to the US they didn’t speak English.
Hello Hanadi,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate you pointing out and sharing examples indicating that diversity can be present even within individual ethnicities and cultures. For instance in my culture the African American culture we all dress differently, have different religions, and accents. I think it important to understand that diversity exist within cultures.