Practice Awareness of Microaggression

Practice Awareness of Microaggression

At my workplace, I experienced micro-aggression with my coworkers while they dealt with each other. One time my teacher’s assistance pointed to another coworker and said “black people are always living in the past”, and I proceeded to ask her “why are you saying that?”. She replied with “I heard that many times from many people and they also can never get over slavery.” I was surprised how she pointed to others so badly while she did not even hear these points herself coming from an African Amerian. Also, at my workplace, there is a new employee who is a Muslim woman as well. My coworkers have a micro-aggression toward her. One time one of my coworkers asked her about her hijab on her head. The woman was surprised trying to explain and find answers to say. My coworker started comparing between her and me. Also, my coworker added on the top of that I observed Hanadi praying here every day and I never see you pray. The woman keeps explaining to her but my coworker replies with to be recognized as a Muslim you have to put the head cover.   


My observation experience added to my understanding that I have to have a complete idea and full picture before I judge or even have a microaggression thought about others. Categorizing people based on their outside image is creating a gap between each other and taking away a person’s self-esteem. I learned how before micro-aggression others I have to realize my own characters and biases before judging others.      

Comments

  1. Hanadi,
    It is quite unfortunate how second hand information is being passed around and the worse is that she was microinvalidating the struggles that Black people have experienced. We all deal with pain or disappointments differently and no one has the right to tell any other person how to deal with theirs. As for your other coworkers, I see that they have no respect for the lady's boundaries. It is important for us to respect each other's boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hanadi,

    As a African American I have heard others outside of my race speak about individuals from my racial background leaving in the past. I think that it is so heartbreaking that we are living in a world were many people refuse to respect the feelings and ideas of people who are different from them. Regarding the microaggression scenarios that you shared with us about your co works I think they might need to participate in a professional development courses that might assist them with their knowledge on diversity and how not to stereotype others. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing Web Resources