communication
The Office show has a
unique, funny connection with the audience. Its makes the audience feel that
they know the plot and are close to the characters. The relationship between
the characters makes you feel that you know them personally. Also, it's presenting
the quality and valuable connection between the characters and how they feel
about their workplace “The Office” as their second home.
While I’m watching the office’s show in
silence, I used my imagination to connect the characters faces’ expression to
their feelings, behaviors, and body movement. Also, trying to understand the
relationship between them and try to guess what type of relationship it is. So
I tried to labels their positions to understand what they are trying to say
while they face to the audience; however, even they look like that they are
doing their job but their attention and facial expression show that they talk
about other things besides their roles. Also, they look like they run after each
other’s personal business. Also, it looks to me like they don’t have that good
of a connection between each other and I can’t figure out what they are exactly
doing exactly at their offices. It seems to me the show does not start yet
because the characters’ facing the audience and start talking which confuses me
why they face the audience.
After I watch with sound
the whole picture changed. I realized what type of relationship they have and
how it works. I was able to understand more about the close relationship
between these employees and how they feel about work as their second home. I
connect now the facial expression with the movement and their behavior while
they deliver their own thoughts or some ideas related to work or personal
matter. The assumption I made that they run after each other’s business is kind
of right based on their conversation and their relationship as well.
Furthermore, now I understand why these characters were facing the camera while
talking which I got the idea it is a part of the show to face the audience to
make the real feeling and understanding to come true between characters and
audiences. Finally, it hit my thoughts that assuming, guessing, trying to read
others faces, nonverbal, body movement, and facial expression are not enough to
come with an idea to judge others or communicate based on that. Listening and
communicating are the right way to be able to reach that high level of
understanding others and reach own goals as well.

I've never seen the American version of The Office, but I have seen the original, U.K. version and if the two are anything alike, then dialogue is delivered very deadpan, as is the acting. This would definitely make it a challenge trying to figure out what was going on just by the nonverbal communication alone. This does bring up the challenge we can have if we are communicating with individuals with certain mental illnesses that give them something called flat affect. This is where you show no emotion in your facial movements and body language, and even your vocalization can seem flat. It makes it very difficult to know how a person with this condition truly feels when they are communicating with you. I have dealt with this personally with a couple of my siblings, and it can be very difficult, indeed. You never realize how much you rely on all of the aspects of communication until parts of it are taken away from the conversation.
ReplyDelete